Monday, February 9, 2015

1/21/15 - Transfers this Week so P-Day on a Wed.

Denial baptized his brother this week in Juarez!!
The Bowsers are Awesome!
Brother Butterfield is one of the best people in the ward.

      Yet another great week!  I am still in El Paso, but I have a new companion Elder Goff.  He is from West Jordan, Utah.I love Elder Goff - he is hilarious.  All we do is laugh during our free time - but the work is going extremely well. One of our new investigators reminds me of my friend Jerry as a child.  He is such a good hearted person but a sponge to worldly things.  I think God is helping me have a second chance with helping him.  He said one of the most powerful prayers I have heard from someone who has never really prayed.   I see the same struggles in his life as my old friend and now I know how to deal with them. Having the influence of the Holy Ghost has been the best part of my teaching him and He is recognizing the goodness that comes from it.  I read with him in Mosiah 3:19

 [For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.]

- and it really hit him hard. He wants to change now and be baptized - which is so cool to see. I am getting to see the good effect that I have on others and it is so great.  It has brought so much joy to my heart, and is helping me realize how I fit in to this whole big puzzle called life.

     I have been reading about Alma.  How people were rebelling against the church of God and Alma was upset that it might be his fault. The voice of the Lord appeared to him and told him it was not his fault - that they had the freedom to choose.  And that Alma had brought many unto baptism and saved them from King Noah.  And that he continued to provide a way for them to have the good influence of God in their lives. “We believe that men are responsible for their own sins and not for Adam's transgression." Alma did his job and was promised exaltation.

    I am coming to learn that we must be responsible priesthood holders and provide a good example even to those who choose to rebel.  I know if I did not have well-founded priesthood holders in my life, I would not be where I am today.   If it weren't for a few that went the extra mile and helped me come out of the rebellion I was in, I would still be a lost sheep. Because Alma stayed strong and fulfilled his responsibilities his son came to a realization and repented and listened to the words of the messengers from God who were there to help him.  He then changed and his friends followed him. When we build ourselves upon the Rock we are immovable.  Others will follow our example when we are selfless and are following the example of Jesus Christ.


    We got into ward counsel for the first time in my mission last week - and it was only because the Bishop came to see that we were fulfilling our purpose, and we were there to serve him.   I know when we follow the examples of our leaders our lives become much easier. This is the Church of Jesus Christ restored in the latter days, and it is meant for everyone. So go and work while it is still day.  Do not wait until the dreaded night. Prove to the Lord by submitting your will to His. I love you all so dearly and pray for you often. Keep being the great people I know you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment