Monday, December 1, 2014

11/25/14 - Week 4 Mission Field - The Spirit of God

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am going to share something that I am most thankful for -THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. Some people think all we are trying to do is baptize them - and that is partially true. But it’s not about numbers – it’s that the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. When we don't let our souls be subject to the atonement of Jesus Christ, John 3:5 says that we cannot enter into the kingdom of God - unless we are cleansed by water and fire. The Holy Ghost acts as a cleansing agent that continually keeps us from becoming dirty in the eyes of God - and gives us the ability to repent. Remission of sins isn't possible without the Holy Ghost. Some other benefits of the Holy Ghost are he brings things to our remembrance and comforts us through our struggles- John 14:26. The hymn, “The Spirit of God” has been in my head all week.The Spirit of God
My bishop called on me last minute to speak in church and instead of it being a 10 minute talk it ended up needing to be a 35 minute talk. The Lord filled my mouth and the Holy Ghost brought things to my remembrance. I filled that time with about 20 minutes of prep - and the ward members said I was inspirational. They were right ... I was inspired by the Holy Ghost. Most of those words where not mine! If there is one thing I have learned on my mission it is listen to those promptings - no matter how ridiculous they sound. I will give an example. We were in a lesson with a new investigator. He kept trying us to go in the woods and do shrooms with him so that we could receive enlightenment. I was then prompted to share the brightness that the Book of Mormon had brought to my life. How it answered the questions of my soul.  With the Bible it makes God’s doctrine complete - making the plain simple and precious things more visible.  Through pondering these things I received my own answer and enlightenment - without drugs. He then said that if we can walk without crutches of drugs - he wanted that!  He is now reading and praying about the Book of Mormon - and is considering being baptized and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost - to be that constant companion and to bring the answers of his soul - to be complete through praying, reading and pondering. I would not be able to do that on my own - but with the Holy Spirit of God all things are possible.
We had the opportunity to have Elder Heber C. Corbridge, of the Seventy, speak to us for 6 hours during zone conference this week. He really helped me realize some things - to be an effective missionary, home teacher, or just a good person. Look for ways to help people, then make a plan on how we can help.  It doesn't need to be intricate in design - all people need to know is that we care about them. Then we need to take responsibility for that.  Don't wait for others to do it.  You don't need to have a calling from God to help an old lady with her groceries -or anything like it.  Then, simply follow through with the prompting you get, to help out.  1. See it   2.  Plan it   3. Own it  4. Do it!

I am so thankful for my friends and family, dog, the support I am receiving from you, and the wonderful gift of Jesus' Atonement. At this time of year and I hope you can all look at and be thankful for Christ.  In this Christmas season, don't be caught in material things, but in the love of God -who sent his son for us - John 3:16. Have fun times with your families. God loves families.  He gave us families so that we can experience the love he experienced with us, before this life. Happy birthday to Jared Dabel this month! And happy birthday to Karly Cox on the 28th - this black Friday. I love you all and pray for you lots. Hasta luego

No comments:

Post a Comment